Planning your Mother’s Day? Try this simple, fun, and heartwarming game with the family.
When my sister and I were in our late elementary school years, we spent the day before Mother’s Day writing questions on colorful index cards. The next day, after the family meal, we pulled them out and presented The Mom Game.
Each person chose a card and answered a question about their mother. Some of those mothers were present, some far away, and some had already passed on. It was a great afternoon of bonding, memories, and family history.
My mom still talks about it today. She has the original somewhere, but I decided to recreate it for our festivities this weekend and share it with you.
How to Play:
- Download The Mom Game files (FREE).
- Print, preferably on thicker paper.
- Cut on the dotted lines.
- Put the cards in a hat, basket, or bowl…something Mom-ish.
- Pass the hat and select question cards to read and answer.
- Answer the questions about your mom, either from your childhood memories or present times. Cards marked with a star are simple enough that little children can answer them.
- Variations: You can have everyone answer the question or just the person who pulled the card. You can have everyone write their answers and then someone read them while one of the moms guesses whose is whose. Add your own questions. Make a rule that if you don’t know an answer, you have to sing a song to a mom. Make it your own!
Image credit: Flickr/CC